Finally, our baby is here. There have been a few big bumps in the road, and some hard surprises, but she's finally more stable and we feel like we can tell her little story here. Thank you to all who have already been praying for her ... She sure needs all the help she can get.
Chiara's lungs didn't "pop" correctly when she was delivered, so she had trouble breathing right from the start. We found out a couple days (and many tests) later that her little skull had been fractured during labor and that had caused some fluid to rush into her little lungs. She is recovering in the special care unit and we're hoping to have her home in about a week. Her biggest problems right now are just her pain (her head is pretty banged up) and her breathing capacity. She has a machine to help her breathe, and that's going so well they might even be taking her off it completely this afternoon sometime. The doctors are also waiting until her pain subsides to really move her very much, so at this point we don't get to hold her, we just look at her. Poor Eldon hasn't even held her at all - I got to right after delivery for about 5 seconds before they took her away.
So, our baby is stabilized now so we have every hope that she'll be just fine and we'll get to bring her home soon. I apologize for not calling more of you ... It's just a hard time. Eldon and I are happy and healthy and we're just anxiously waiting for our girl to heal. Chiara sure is a beloved child. I'm so grateful for the comfort of prayer and the power in the priesthood, because without those things I just don't think we'd be able to make it through this. But look at her ... she sure is a little doll!
Oh Shelli - my heart goes out to you. I'm so happy to hear that she's doing well. It's a crash course on what being parents is all about - love, worry, pain... Chiara is in our prayers as we fast this weekend. All our love to your sweet little family.
ReplyDeleteShe is so sweet! Oh Shelli, we are so happy for you guys! That is so sad that she had a bad start but I'm glad to hear she is getting better. Congratulations sweetie!
ReplyDeleteso glad to finally see our sweet niece! You have all been in our thoughts and prayers. We can't wait to meet her! Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteshelley, my mom just told me about your beautiful daughter so I found your blog and was so happy to hear she is doing better. you will definitely all be in our prayers while we fast this weekend. congratulations on a darling miracle.
ReplyDeletemichele (hunt) cloward
Hey Shelli and Eldon-
ReplyDeleteLots of prayers and hugs coming from Littleton!! :}
We love you!
Hugs-
Aunt Becci
hooray! she's here! I too had Lung problems when i was born, jaundice and a collapsed lung to be exact, but in a few days I was much better. Sending good vibes your way to easy the pain so you can get to hold her sooner, and love her more.
ReplyDeleteShe is such a sport! She looks so beautiful from what I can see of her. I can't wait to meet her.I am so sorry that you had to have such a hard experience with your first.But we are so thankful that she is on the mend and getting better. I am sure you are so anxious to get her home and never let her go. Shelli, Eldon and Chiara we love you and pray for you! We can't wait to meet her!
ReplyDeleteMy goodness!!! Chiara is just darling!! I can't wait to come see her and hold her. =] Like I told Eldon today, I miss you guys like crazy!! She's adorable and I'm glad she's doing much better!!
ReplyDeleteShelli, having spent many days in the NICU I have some idea of what it is like for you. Take comfort in knowing those NICU nurses are angels sent directly from God to take care of these little ones. Your little daughter in in good hands and many are praying for her and fasting too. We love you and please if you want to talk to another mommy who has been there, call Jennifer. 356-8478.
ReplyDeleteWe love you and send our prayers and if Grandma needs to talk to another grandma who has been there too..have her call me.
We love you all and know the baby will be just fine. Feel comfort and joy and welcome to parenthood~the greatest blessing on earth! And thank you for posting this so we can all be informed and pray for you all. And another thing...it is not all about the baby suddenly, we are glad YOU are doing well too!
She's so beautiful! And he nose is not big at all! yay!! I love you guys and can't wait for her to come home.
ReplyDeleteOh goodness, she is beautiful! Congrats!!! I'm so happy for you guys! Sorry you had a few bumps at first. I wish you the best!!
ReplyDeleteIt's so good to see little Chiara arrived! I'm sorry you've had to go through so much with her, I know it must not be easy. Soon you'll be holding your precious girl and everything will be perfect again :)
ReplyDeleteMuch love and prayers coming your way!
Congratulations on Chiara. I am sorry to hear about the complications and am glad to hear she is doing better. I will keep all 3 of you in my thoughts and prayers!
ReplyDeleteI got some more info from your Dad tonight - what a traumatic beginning into parenthood - I am so relieved to hear she is doing better. You will ALL be in our prayers and hope that you will be enjoying this little sweetheart at home soon. She is so cute! Congratulations to you all.
ReplyDeletecongratulations, what a beautiful lil angel you have there..
ReplyDeleteyour family will be in my prayers.
i don't know how tiny little you gave birth to a baby that big! i'm glad that you're healing alright. look forward to hearing your experiences when she goes home with you.
much love
xxxx
We love you! Chiara is in our prayers that she will heal quickly so you can hold that sweet baby of yours!!
ReplyDeleteOh Shells...how hard and wonderful all together. We'll be praying for Chiara and for you and Eldon. She's so sweet, Shell.
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm so sorry that it's been anything but perfect for you guys! It's amazing - even with the machine on her, she looks so pretty! I'm sure she's a gorgeous little girl. Sorry, I was out of town this weekend, and Brent has been super busy. He did say that you called. Please let us know if you need anything at all. And keep us posted!
ReplyDeleteBless Chiara's little angel heart. She's beautiful. We are praying for you guys!
ReplyDeleteShelli,
ReplyDeleteShe looks just like you! Beautiful! I can't wait to meet her. Hang in there from someone that knows what you are going through. She will be home before you know it. Our prayers are with you. Love you friend.
Emily, Mike, & Grant