I've been thinking about what genes I have to offer my little Chiara. I always imagined my babies with big blue eyes and curly hair like mine, but now I wonder if I even HAVE those hair genes to pass on anymore. My hair has been decreasing in curliness ever since our engagement ... Eldon teases me that it was stress (he wasn't sure I was really going to say yes at the altar until I actually did), but I also got a nasty infection in my leg (MRSA) during that time, and they say drastic hair changes can be attributed to either of those things. Anyway, I was just thinking about my poor hair and wondering if the curls would ever come back. Loose curls are pretty too, but it's taken some getting used to. I've had to relearn how to even do it in the morning! :) Here's the story in pictures:

2005: I chopped it in the MTC so it would be more manageable when I got to Rome. CURLY!

2006: It grew like crazy, but it was still manageable ... with a lot of Italian gel. :)

2007: We're back in America and just the same as ever ... easy hair, and I loved it!

2008: Uh oh. I couldn't get it to curl to save my life! Not even chopping it off helped. Eldon HATED it this short, so I'll never do that again. :)

2009: I can get some wave into it if I try, but not curliness. It's really sad for me in a very vain kind of way. Maybe when I'm not pregnant any more my hair (among other things) will go back to normal. :)
Anyway, I hope deep inside me there were some curly-haired genes somewhere for Chiara to partake of. Eldon's hair is curly too, so I'm really hoping that between the two of us she got some curliness. Not that it matters at all, but that's just how I've been imagining my babies for the last 20 years of daydreams. :) We'll just have to see! Oh my goodness, she'll be here in like 3 weeks!!! Yay!
Shenny!, Your HAIR!!! Okay, I'm thinking of the book Little Women where Jo cuts off her hair and then is crying in the night about it-don't you just feel that way? Its okay. It MIGHT come back curly- My hair flattened out a little when I was preggy with James AND after his birth and it came back just fine. Don't cry dearie- from one curly girl to another, it will return (just like other things will too:). I'm excited to see you tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteOooo! Another thought, maybe your little girl is taking it OVER for you- you may get a curly girl after all! It just may require a LITTLE more sacrifice than you were expecting :)
ReplyDeleteGood comment, Ashley! That is what happened to all my talents-- I sacrificed them so Shelli could have ALL of them!!! (That's my story and I'm sticking with it.) :) One thing's for sure--little Chiara is genetically predisposed to have the voice of an ANGEL since both mommy and daddy do, so that's another thing I'm excited about. :)
ReplyDeleteOkay, I admit, I'm just excited about EVERYTHING having to do with my little grandgirl.... :)
That is so interesting, because typically hair is suppose to curl MORE in pregnancy. Hope Chiara comes out with a head full of curls :)
ReplyDeleteI know, Ash I thought of Little Women too ... my ONE beauty! :)
ReplyDeleteFor what it's worth, I love your hair now. I think it is so beautiful!! =] You and Eldon are gonna have the cutest children ever! Aunt Shauna is veryyyy excited!!
ReplyDelete