Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Redecorating fantasy...

I don't know why I do this to myself, but while I've been (kind of) decorating Chiara's little corner - not to confuse her with the children who come into the world with their own room awaiting them - I've been subconsciously (and a little consciously) imagining what I'll do with an entire house when I have one to decorate. I found this site, http://www.lombok.co.uk/ which has a lot of simple, European-looking ideas for furniture and things and I just thought I'd document my current ideals ... since they most certainly will change in time. Eldon is astounded by my capacity to vacillate. He calls it "fickle-ness" ... and he's probably right. :) Here is one room of my ideas:

The Library (in my dreams):

Many of you know me well enough to know I love to read and own ... more than several books and a fair share of bookcases (like 5). It's a weakness. But on this site I found a really sophisticated-looking day bed, which obviously we'd use more like a pseudo couch. I LOVE the neutral colors and even though my kids might be tempted to somehow stain that cream fabric, there would be a strict no eating policy in this room. :) There are more ways to stain something then with food, but it's a start. The walls I'd cover in these bookcases, because I love the fact that you can see the walls above the books ... as if the books are attached, or a part of the room and not just temporary residents. I could do without the vases and that horse-looking thing - there wouldn't be room anyway. :) I need the space for actual book storage. And if the library had a fireplace we could have one of those pretty log baskets that you see in the movies to hold our wood like we're classy. :) Also, as much as I love natural lighting, at night you need artificial, so we'd have to get some pretty lamps. Eldon hates the kind with shades, but I like them and this is my fantasy so here are the ones I'd place in my library. I LOVE the twisty look of the post! And I love dark wood. I even like the screen thing, but it would be too museum-ish for my taste. That lamp shade would have to go too. I'd probably pick one like this instead. I really like the oval aspect of this lamp shade, but the site has tons of others. I loved this little end table too, and I suppose we'd need a few of those around the room. I just like the simplicity of this furniture and the clean lines. Actually, (Eldon would laugh) the more I look at the twisty lamp the less I like it. I'd have to have something straight. Fickle fickle. :) They had some really pretty mirrors here too, and I'd want some on the walls if there were room between all the shelves. I just think mirrors open up a space really well. They make any room look bigger, which is why we should probably put ours in our living room. :)

Anyway, the site had really classy furniture that I was kind of coveting as I browsed. Even the laundry baskets were classy looking! :) I imagine all kinds of inviting, comfortable, neutral-colored fabrics for comforters, pillows, throws, and draperies with all this dark wood and I want to curl up and read a book. A good one.

It would be nice ... someday. Probably not, though. We'll probably never be nice furniture kind of people. :)

2 comments:

  1. I can see why you'd like all that lovely furniture because it's just like our home.

    Oh, wait.....

    :)

    You're cracking me up, Shell! Internet nesting! A new age pregnancy symptom. :)

    By the way, I love all that furniture, too....It's so funny-- I have the most eclectic taste EVER. I like lots of the dark, classy stuff, but then there's this huge part of my heart that adores cottage-y, shabby chic decor. Maybe you get your fickle-mania from me. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here, and I love to hear what you have to say!