Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Colorado, we hold you in our hearts!

We have returned from our long weekend exhausted, sunburned, and thoroughly eaten by mosquitos. :) I had my reservations about this trip, but I'm SO glad we went. Here are some highlights for your enjoyment:
Moment #1: Eldon and I drove into the "driveway" after a 5-hour car trip. Not so bad. I was looking around at the beautiful mountains and thinking how much I had missed getting out of the city. Eldon came around to open my door and the first thing he said was, "Oh, careful for the cow patty, Shell." So I took a picture of it. Because I'm classy. Eldon did his belly laugh where he slaps his leg. That was worth the embarrassment of the photo takage. Gosh I adore him.

Moment #2: I saw LOTS of daisies, which as many of you know are my very favorite flower for a plethora of reasons. They're just so simple and cheerful. I'd add a picture but that's unneccessary. Okay, I will. And I know it's not right-side-up but this is my third attempt to make it right and I can't. But rather than delete it altogether it's strangely important to me that you see it. Therefore.
Moment #3: Eldon took me fishing. Now, I have held a fishing pole before, and even caught things with it (note the ambiguous usage of "things" ... some of them were fish). But that was lake fishing, which is entirely different than stream/river fishing. However, with the help of an encouraging husband who delighted in my every effort, and a kind father-in-law who cared enough to show me how to find a good spot, and an obliging worm who stayed right on the hook where I put him, I managed to catch a little tiny fish. :) And because I only tried for about 15 minutes, I'm rather pleased with myself. Eldon was beaming. I know it looks dead, but it lived. We released it later into the pond my Eldon's grandparents' house.
Moment #4: Eldon and I wanted to take a little break from all the people so we hiked a little further upstream to have some quiet time. I brought a book ("The Runaway Jury" by John Grisham) and Eldon played with his "nothing box". It's so fascinating to me that he can sit for more than 2 consecutive minutes and do/think NOTHING. Maybe that's why his other hours of the day are so productive. I might need to learn that. I've been taking my crochetting project to work so I can do something with my hands while I talk to clients on the phone (because I'm an online consultant ... ask Bryce). I think I have problems.
Moment #5 (moments after #4): I was immersed in my book, hanging on every word of Nicholas Easter as he ranted and raved to the judge over the jury having to be sequestered and all their luggage checked, when there was a thunderous rumbling in the bushes right next to us. My heart panicked and I became instantly convinced that we were about to be torn limb from limb by mountain lions. However, it turned out to be cows. :) "They're not going to charge us, are they, Honey?" I asked nervously as a calf got closer and closer. Apparently cows don't really do that. Who knew?

Moment #6: Eldon wanted me to touch one, so I tried. "Let it smell you, Hon." he called after me as I carefully edged toward one. Okay. I was basically shunned, but I felt its nose fuzz at least.

Moment #7: Eldon's family has a legacy of miners, and his grandfather's property has a "hot spot" where you can find dirt full of gold dust. Eldon taught me to pan for it and I FOUND some!!! I was so pleased with myself. I caught a fish, I touched a cow, I found some gold ... it was a good day. :) It's a pretty lengthy process, but my joy was full at the end. I have it in a little glass bottle my father-in-law offered me. I don't know who was more thrilled for me - him or Eldon. :) Darling men.

Moment #8: We stayed in a small cabinish establishment I affectionately named "The Bungalo". Eldon was so tired the first night he could barely keep his eyes open enough to snack on the fruit we'd packed. :) I had to take a picture to document that. He's the cutest thing there ever was. Do you like our bedding? I did. It was especially nice on our sunburns the next day. Scrape scrape scrape! :) Not the softest fabric in the world.

Here are a few more pictures for your enjoyment. It was truly a fun weekend. I'm glad to be home though ... Back to life!

3 comments:

  1. Let the record show that I am consumed with jealousy. And amusement. I'm glad you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great time! So sorry we missed out on all the fun. I was trying to help hold the fort down at Girls Camp this week. See you tomorrow. It's time for some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colorado looks like it was some nice R&R with some wonderful memories.:)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here, and I love to hear what you have to say!