Sunday, July 27, 2008

Weather: To stay or to go...

It is AFRICA hot in our apartment. If you have had a conversation with me anytime in the last month I've probably mentioned that. It's like the sauna I never EVER asked for or wanted. I have literally resorted to spraying myself occasionally with a squirt bottle. There was a point in my life that I would have told you I'd much rather be hot than cold. That was merely because I'd never actually been very hot in my life. California, for all its problems and downsides, has fantastic weather. Let's talk about Arizona for a minute, my husband's promised land.

In Arizona you EXPECT it to be consistently higher than 110 degrees during certain months. Eldon and I babysat our darling neice and nephews on Friday night and we were talking about Arizona weather. Let me remind you, dear Reader, that Arizona is a DESERT. Why would anyone INTENTIONALLY live in the desert?? Really, post me a note if you have an idea. Anyway, we were talking about that and Eldon's sister said, "It does get hot, but the weather is great for about 7 months out of the year." Okay, I am an English major and not the best math wizard there is. Eldon actually applauded me when I divided 18 correctly by 3 the other day, and I'm not even joking about that. But even I know that 7 out of 12 isn't very much more than half. HALF.

So, back to Utah. I've never been here for a summer before and I'm distraught that it gets so hot AND so cold here. No wonder Northern Californians pay so much to live there. I had no idea! I give Utah ... hmm ... April, May, September, and October. That's 4 months. A THIRD of the year i s pleasantly weathered. Eldon says it would be hard to find a location that had good weather for more than 7 months of the year, and Arizona's not looking too bad from that angle. Plus there's no snow. I can only say these things because Eldon never reads our blog. In his mind I'm still anti-AZ, but I think I'm secretly changing my mind ...
Oh, and my house is still a sauna, by the way. :) A little one. Made of cinder block.

1 comment:

  1. Take it from one who actually CURRENTLY lives in Arizona. It's not a desert in the sahara sense of the word. It's actually quite beautiful down here in its own way. Gorgeous sunsets! As for the heat, it's not nice 7 months of the year, it's PERFECT for about 8 months of the year. And that's hard to find. :) I'm from Oregon, so it's not like I grew up in the desert or anything. But in Arizona it is consistently sunny and warm (not hot) for the VAST majority of the year. Who doesn't want that? and when it is hot, it's not humid like Utah. Admit it, Arizona's sounding better and better all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here, and I love to hear what you have to say!