Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cutting teeth, hair, and me.

Eldon and I decided that we should probably cut Chiara some bangs, since her hair is always in her eyes and she has made a new hobby of finding her ponytails and pulling them out. Yay for that. So, I've gone to cut her hair every morning for the last few days, getting the scissors out and everything ... but then looking at her in all her cute afro glory totally ungirds my loins and I can't do it. Until yesterday ...

I sat Chiara on the bathroom counter, handed her a lip gloss to keep her occupied, carefully sectioned off the bangs, took them in my fingers, and snipped them off in one quick stroke. Eeeee, gads ... they were short. I held three inches of sweet strawberry-blond baby hair in my hand and my child's forehead was looking ... prominent.

What did I do??


"How do I look, Mommy?"
"Well, Sweetest, you've ... had better days."


"You did this to me! I will cut you."
"Honey, (stifled laughter) I'm truly sorry."


"I don't know if I can forgive you."
"Well, Baby Sweet, that makes two of us. Three, when Daddy gets home."


"I think you should try harder."
"You're right. Come here, let's see if it's cuter when it's curly."


"Your proposal is acceptable."


"It still looks yucky!!"
"I know, Honey ... let's fix it after you eat."

(insert many minutes of primping, soothing, entertaining, and stressing ... )
"Well? (sniff) How is it?"
"Oh, Sweetie, it looks really, really cute."


"Do you promise, Mommy?"
"Yes, Angel Sweet, I promise."


"Okay."

I have to say, I was a little nervous there. Initially I tried blow drying her bangs with a round brush. Not so cute. But when I scrunch them with gel or mousse they look just how I'd hoped they could look. Thank goodness for that. :) And Eldon loved it when he got home, which was another huge relief. Nothing like disfiguring your husband's little baby girl to really rack up the brownie points. (ooh, brownies ... )

Also, I should mention, that the little lamb blanket in the pictures is her favorite of all time. Seriously, she's so attached to it. She wants it at all times, and if she's going down for a nap and accidentally flings it over the edge of her crib she'll look at me and point at it saying, "Da da da da da!!" until I reach down and get it for her. It's kind of hilarious.

Also, we went to Safeway today where the nice lady gave her a balloon. Merciful land (my current non-expletive of choice ... I know, it's unfortunate ... but don't say it, even in jest, because it's strangely addicting) she loved that thing. She played with it all afternoon. I came back into the living room after putting her clothes in the dryer and saw this:


What the ... Oh. 
Whole picture:


I tried to get a picture of her holding it, but she wouldn't smile for me.


"What, are you going to take it from me?" she asks, suspiciously.

Fine, I won't take your picture. She is a happy girl, I promise, all evidence to the contrary. Honestly, I've never seen such an expressive child. And she does smile. All the time. She just doesn't like the camera. And she giggles all the time, too. We've been waiting a LONG time for that. Merciful land. Chiara is a delightful child ... Whoever you are, I'm sorry if you don't get to interact with her. She's a treat. Personality plus, this one. :)

5 comments:

  1. That is too cute. I wouldn't worry about the bangs. She would look cute still if all her hair were gone. I love ther hair curly. What a sweet girl. I sure wish we lived closer to each other so our children could grow up knowing each other. I love reading your blog. I feel like I am actually there as you are writing it all down. Love it! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks adorable, Shell! Good job. She got that perfect mommy hair. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Thank you for the Movie Tickets you know how I love to get away and do that! Your duvet looks really sweet! I am so happy you are happy! Your family has been gone forever now..home soon, hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's the cutest thing in the world, both in looks and personality. I loved the write-up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come back to blogging ~you are missed by me!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here, and I love to hear what you have to say!