Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Morning Walk

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I don't often enjoy the great outdoors. I've tried many times to get all romantical and read a book on the grass in a park or something. But here's the thing, there are lots of bugs. And dirt. And that ruins it for me.

The other day Eldon and I took Chiara to the park and there was a mother there who had a darling little girl named Elinor (and called her Elinora Explora Dora, which she and I laughed about together) who loved to play in the sand. This fun, friendly woman chatted with me as she watched her daughter fling sand up in the air, giggle, rub her hands in it, cover her legs with it, and scooch around in it. While I was talking to her I kept watching in my peripheral vision as her daughter got filthier and filthier ... I wonder if my head was twitching. She didn't seem bothered at all by her daughter's play, while all I could think about was how long it would take to clean that child when they got home.

Even in the moment I could sense I had a problem.

I bring antiseptic wipes everywhere. I don't let Chiara touch anything that has touched dirt, let alone dirt itself. I walk carefully from the swings to the teeter-totter so as not to get sand in my own shoes, and carry her so there's no chance of it getting in hers.

I may need to relax.

Chiara and I took a morning walk together because I didn't make it to the gym before Eldon left for work (since Mommy was up with her during a midnight teething episode). Wow! I know I was on the pavement and everything, but I really, really loved it. Sunshine feels special when it's not filtered by double-paned glass.

Tomorrow morning I'll take her out again, if the weather is decent, and we'll go to the park. And I'll let her play on the grass if she wants. I'm not ready for the sand quite yet, but grass I think I can handle.

1 comment:

  1. I think I passed that gene down to you from your Grandpa Lowder. Getting dirty playing years of football and baseball wasn't a problem. But other than getting dirty in an "organized" way, no thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here, and I love to hear what you have to say!