Thursday, April 9, 2009

Once, twice, three times a baby...

I've never been vomited on more in my life than in the past week. Sometimes it's predictable, like the exclamation point behind an especially fervent burp. Other times it's just after a long nap and she smiles up at me with a little splurt of somethin' somethin' and I grab the burp cloth as fast as I can ... laughing, of course, because it just astounds me every time.

I go through my days smelling like sour milk (compliments of the events mentioned in the paragraph above) and a little bit of poop. I'm convinced she gets me when I'm not looking. Like during a blink. I always ask her after the grunting has subsided if she's all wrung out yet, but every now and then just as I'm finishing my masterful application of diaper cream she coughs and I get a couple little surprise droplets flung onto my self somewhere. It's fantastic. Again, what can you do but laugh?

Feeding times have been a little less than dignified as of late. She's somehow turned a little frantic, like some kind of ravenous little snapping turtle that can't quite get a hold of what it was aiming for. Sometimes I just want to set her down and have a little chat. "Honey, this is what we DO, remember?" But there is sufficient diaper-defacing evidence that she's still getting plenty of food, so I don't worry. Mercy.

She sasses me. I try to assume the expressions she gives me are accidental and arbitrary, but she might mean some of them. That look on a teenaged face would merit grounding, I think. Or at least loss of some very choice privileges.

On the rare occasion I let her sleep without being swaddled she punches both arms around for a while until she falls asleep with them above her head. I'm talking perpendicular to the mattress. It makes me laugh every time I walk by the crib and all I can see is one tiny fist in the air ... It's a little dramatic. And sometimes she sleeps with her eyes open. I've had some very close calls during the night in my fatigued stupor when I thought she was awake and ready for me to feed her. But luckily I caught myself in time and dragged myself back to bed.

All in all I'm completely smitten with my child, my husband, and the life we all have together. It's a little exhausting, and trips to the bathroom show a reflection that is nowhere near attractive, but it's a delightful existence. Tomorrow I might find myself flung into the pit of despair, but she's going on three hours of consecutive sleep right now so the house is clean, I'm showered, the laundry is folded, and I'm in a great mood. Also I got a C on my biology test this morning, which is superb because it means I'll most likely graduate. :) Gotta love that. Yeah, life is good.

9 comments:

  1. Spit-up on shirt? Check. Poop on pants? Check. Bloodshot eyes? Check. Welcome, Shelli. You have officially entered the ranks of motherdom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait until a "blow-out"! Those are the BEST! :) The things we do as mothers would make the highest paid person in the world want to quit- if they had our job! It's a thankless one (at least until they have kids of their own)- but not without the rewards: Smiles just for you, naps of 3+hours, burping without barfing. Such a small sample, but so meaningful. When we look back on these times, we'll only remember with great fondness the good things. And that's called amnesia! hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny post, Shell! You have such a way with words....Honestly! :) I thought you LIKED the smell of baby spitup-- or has that changed now that you smell it ALL the time? :) I can't wait until I get to see our little dolly again!!! She can spit up, poop on, scowl at, and be dramatic to me as much as wants. Bring it on!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite image from all of this is the little fist raised dramatically in the air. At first that made me think of Black Panthers. Then it made me think of the Ninja Turtles movie where Shredder's fist bursts out of the wreckage. I can't stop chuckling about the combination of images in my head now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I liked the image of that little fist, too, although I prefer my own interpretation... In my mind, the little fist is actually a little hand beckoning me to "come here, Grandma, come here!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun post Punkin'.

    I think Chiara wants to do a "real" fist bump with her Grandpa, not the cover-and-rub that her Grandma does.
    Actually, like her mom and maternal uncles and aunt before her . . . "I don't think she knows." :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next time I'll take a picture of it. :) You guys make me laugh. Oh, and Mom, I LOVE the smell of her spit up ... it's the smell of my own milk I could do without. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. I'm wondering how your nursing cover is working out?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I'm so glad to hear that Savannah likes her nursing cover! Hopefully that means yours will prove helpful as well. I know mine was when Bree was nursing! Shelli, Chiara is just beautiful. We sure are excited to meet her! Hopefully soon while she's still in that precious newborn stage! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here, and I love to hear what you have to say!