I reread this post and was surprised by how snooty and harsh it sounded in some parts. That was certainly not my intention and I apologize! I only meant to say that I'm grateful my mom doesn't speak poorly of her children to other people. Because goodness knows she knows our faults and weaknesses better than anyone. :)
I worked with a lady, for example, years ago who would always complain to me about her teenaged daughter. It made me so uncomfortable and I worried how her daughter would feel if she ever heard her mom talking like that. I realized I'd never worried about that for a single second, and I was so grateful to my mom for that simple act of loyalty. I decided I would offer my own children that kind of protection as well when the time came ... and now it's coming.
Anyway, I hope I didn't offend anyone by what I wrote. I can get pretty carried away sometimes and get all unnecessarily passionate about things. :) I'll work on that.
so true, shelli. we have an amazing mom! she loves and adores us kids so much and i know for me, i have never questioned that. we are so lucky to have such a loving mom.
ReplyDeleteThat is really good to hear. Great advice for a new mom such as myself! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI wish my mom could be much more like that. I will admit, I'm envious.
ReplyDeleteShelli, this is a beautiful tribute to your mom. I feel the same way about her as my dear friend. I know whatever I tell her goes no where else. Her friends understand her mothering and do the same. As for her other friends and acquaintances I cannot speak. But her true friends~we get it and love her for it too. Great post!
ReplyDeleteI know, Bonnie, I think my mom has some of the greatest friends! Actually, you are the ladies I miss most when I'm away from home - other than family, of course. :)
ReplyDeleteYes, "My Sweetest" is one in a million. I tell people the secret to parenting is to marry a woman like I married, and then try not to get in the way. Ok, I've also had to "listen and obey" on occasion when I might have been a little too tough with the tough love. Those who know me best know how much I love having to admit I was wrong. Luckily I hardly ever have to do that :) !!!!
ReplyDelete(I had to say that for Shelli, Bryce, Kevin and Shauna. They would expect no less.)
Actually, I probably needed to do that more than I did . . . or am doing.
All that being said Shelli, I still hope that little Chiara is for your family what you were for ours. If so, you and Eldon will be among the luckiest parents in the world. :)
xoxoxo