YMount here we come!!!
I have to tell you, moving is a terrible business. Eldon hates it as much (or maybe more) as I do. Actually, one of our first marital compromises (other than the fact that I am never allowed to have a pet as a consequence of my husband's animosity toward anything non-human that breathes ... except for plants) was that I would not open or use almost any of our wedding gifts (bedding, dishes, appliances, etc) since we'd just have to pack them up again in five months anyway. I'm being serious. You laugh, but it's true. He just cracks me up. I did, however, win the Shelli-wants-to-take-down-the-horrendous-plastic-palm-tree- shower-curtain-Eldon-used-before-she-moved-in-and-use-the-pretty-one-we-got-for-our- wedding debate. He's good to me. :)
Anyway, back to moving. I shouldn't say I hate it, because I kind of enjoy the organization opportunity. It's just hard to find time to do it. So I have been packing at night when I get home from work (reference previous blog that outlines my schedule) and I do it by myself. Not because Eldon won't help me, but because I'm such a ridiculous perfectionist that I cannot bear to watch him do it! Between his enmity toward the project and our lack of remaining hours to make this happen, he has a tendency to attack our belongings with a flurried fury of apathy. And I cannot bear to have our things packed less than neatly, so I do it by myself. :) I am a glutton for punishment, I suppose. Eldon packed his own things (which took him all of 20 minutes and six mostly-unpacked-anyway boxes--note above paragraph) and I pack my things and our things. It's pretty funny, acutally. I'll be slaving away in the back bedroom, organizing and de-cluttering (which is a nice way of saying throwing LOTS of things away), and he'll come in from the room he was reading his book in and ask, "Can we be done with this for the night?" I laugh, because I'm a patient woman, and let him lead me from the mess I was making and fixing. He's right ... I am making this way more complicated than it needs to be! :)
On an optimistic note, when we finally get into our new place it's going to feel like a whole new life! I'm going to have new EVERYTHING!! :) I'll get to use those beautiful dishes we registered for, and the bedding, and the curtains, and the wall decor, and the appliances (oh, the APPLIANCES), and every other thing I've been anxiously awaiting even though I owned it. I can't wait. :)
On a less optimistic note, I just KNOW the Lord is going to call us to the Primary again. I have gone to Gospel Doctrine with my husband a total of ONE TIME during our entire marriage, and it doesn't seem enough to me. Wait, you might say, haven't you been released for two weeks? Hmm, funny you should ask, dear Reader. We have been released for two weeks, but last Saturday I got a phone call from someone in the ward that went like this:
"Hi, Shelli? This is ________ from the ward." (I like her, so I'll leave her anonymous)
"Hi, _________, how are you?"
"Great. Hey I was just wondering. __________ (husband) and I are going to be out of town tomorrow and we need someone to sub for us in the Nursery. Didn't you just get released from Primary?"
"___________________" (That's for my thoughts, which will also remain anonymous)
"Yeah ... we did."
"Great. Would you mind subbing for us tomorrow? They're really cute kids. There's a folder in the closet with the manilla envelope with the animal pictures they like to hold while we sing 'Old McDonald' as a class. Then you should find the pictures of the temples we use during 'I Love to See the Temple'. They might ask about the puppets we always use, and if they do you can find those..."
You get the picture.
The natural woman in me was not overly enthused about this assignment, but Eldon, who wears the halo at our house, was actually excited about it. It wasn't so bad, but I kept daydreaming of adult conversations about faith while I rebuttoned dresses, broke up fights over toys and tried to ignore the prominent smell of poop. It was a long two hours. My Grandpa Lowder used to say Nursery was a cesspool of disease. I have a new opinion about that.
Anyway, my point is that I'm excited to move despite the fact that the Lord is going to call me to some kind of unpleasant calling in our next ward. I'm trying to gird up my loins for that. Publicly, apparently. :) According to my manager (also a YMount resident), at YMount there are babies everywhere!!! I'm sure they need some extra Nursery Leaders. :)
I have to tell you, moving is a terrible business. Eldon hates it as much (or maybe more) as I do. Actually, one of our first marital compromises (other than the fact that I am never allowed to have a pet as a consequence of my husband's animosity toward anything non-human that breathes ... except for plants) was that I would not open or use almost any of our wedding gifts (bedding, dishes, appliances, etc) since we'd just have to pack them up again in five months anyway. I'm being serious. You laugh, but it's true. He just cracks me up. I did, however, win the Shelli-wants-to-take-down-the-horrendous-plastic-palm-tree- shower-curtain-Eldon-used-before-she-moved-in-and-use-the-pretty-one-we-got-for-our- wedding debate. He's good to me. :)
Anyway, back to moving. I shouldn't say I hate it, because I kind of enjoy the organization opportunity. It's just hard to find time to do it. So I have been packing at night when I get home from work (reference previous blog that outlines my schedule) and I do it by myself. Not because Eldon won't help me, but because I'm such a ridiculous perfectionist that I cannot bear to watch him do it! Between his enmity toward the project and our lack of remaining hours to make this happen, he has a tendency to attack our belongings with a flurried fury of apathy. And I cannot bear to have our things packed less than neatly, so I do it by myself. :) I am a glutton for punishment, I suppose. Eldon packed his own things (which took him all of 20 minutes and six mostly-unpacked-anyway boxes--note above paragraph) and I pack my things and our things. It's pretty funny, acutally. I'll be slaving away in the back bedroom, organizing and de-cluttering (which is a nice way of saying throwing LOTS of things away), and he'll come in from the room he was reading his book in and ask, "Can we be done with this for the night?" I laugh, because I'm a patient woman, and let him lead me from the mess I was making and fixing. He's right ... I am making this way more complicated than it needs to be! :)
On an optimistic note, when we finally get into our new place it's going to feel like a whole new life! I'm going to have new EVERYTHING!! :) I'll get to use those beautiful dishes we registered for, and the bedding, and the curtains, and the wall decor, and the appliances (oh, the APPLIANCES), and every other thing I've been anxiously awaiting even though I owned it. I can't wait. :)
On a less optimistic note, I just KNOW the Lord is going to call us to the Primary again. I have gone to Gospel Doctrine with my husband a total of ONE TIME during our entire marriage, and it doesn't seem enough to me. Wait, you might say, haven't you been released for two weeks? Hmm, funny you should ask, dear Reader. We have been released for two weeks, but last Saturday I got a phone call from someone in the ward that went like this:
"Hi, Shelli? This is ________ from the ward." (I like her, so I'll leave her anonymous)
"Hi, _________, how are you?"
"Great. Hey I was just wondering. __________ (husband) and I are going to be out of town tomorrow and we need someone to sub for us in the Nursery. Didn't you just get released from Primary?"
"___________________" (That's for my thoughts, which will also remain anonymous)
"Yeah ... we did."
"Great. Would you mind subbing for us tomorrow? They're really cute kids. There's a folder in the closet with the manilla envelope with the animal pictures they like to hold while we sing 'Old McDonald' as a class. Then you should find the pictures of the temples we use during 'I Love to See the Temple'. They might ask about the puppets we always use, and if they do you can find those..."
You get the picture.
The natural woman in me was not overly enthused about this assignment, but Eldon, who wears the halo at our house, was actually excited about it. It wasn't so bad, but I kept daydreaming of adult conversations about faith while I rebuttoned dresses, broke up fights over toys and tried to ignore the prominent smell of poop. It was a long two hours. My Grandpa Lowder used to say Nursery was a cesspool of disease. I have a new opinion about that.
Anyway, my point is that I'm excited to move despite the fact that the Lord is going to call me to some kind of unpleasant calling in our next ward. I'm trying to gird up my loins for that. Publicly, apparently. :) According to my manager (also a YMount resident), at YMount there are babies everywhere!!! I'm sure they need some extra Nursery Leaders. :)
Hurray for being able to use all your beautiful new things! Good luck moving/packing...I know all about perfectionist tendencies, because I'm one too! Hopefully, they'll be slow giving you guys callings in your new ward so you can have some adult interaction before Primary again. :)
ReplyDeleteI know! I think I'm becoming a blogging over-achiever!! :)
ReplyDeletePlease be nicer to Eldon....he's not that bad! :-)
ReplyDeletethat last comment was from lee...not Jaclyn. :-)
ReplyDeleteDoes it come across like I'm criticizing? He and I laugh about it all the time!! If that's how it sounds maybe I should fix that...
ReplyDeleteOh you weren't criticizing. But we men gotta stick together! :-) Thanks for sending us your blog link. We'd love to be able to keep up with your lives!
ReplyDelete-Lee
Hey Shell! I miss you! Thank goodness for Heather's blog with her link to yours! That was a hilarious entry by the way, and just so you know, especially the phrase, "Eldon, who wears the halo in our house" b/c if you replace the "Eldon" with "Jesse", that is so the way it is in my marriage. Love you, dear friend!
ReplyDelete