I'm realizing more and more just what a lucky, LUCKY girl I am.
I always said, when I was young in high school and early college, that I would marry the man with the best heart I could find. How many girls actually get to do that? Just the really, really lucky ones.
The Beehives came over for mutual on Tuesday night and we played "Imaginiff" and ate popcorn all night. With a little Sword and the Stone thrown in there at the end (just the squirrel part ... hilarious!). While I played with my girls my darling husband bathed Chiara and put her to bed (which he always does on Tuesdays while I'm at mutual) and then came back downstairs and continued to make bag after bag of popcorn, filling water cups, and getting whatever else we needed while we laughed in the living room. I left to take a couple girls home and when I got back 15 minutes later the living room was spotless - Eldon had picked up all the empty cups and bowls and vacuumed all the popcorn that was littered all over the carpet. What a darling.
Also. I've mentioned before how folding laundry isn't my favorite thing. I've had a load sitting in the dryer for three days waiting to be folded. Eldon didn't even tell me he was running out of clean socks, undershirts, etc. But he was. He'd actually foraged in the dryer for a clean pair that morning without saying a thing to me. Then that night when he came home from work and everything was folded and put away he noticed and then came to give me a hug, thanking me and praising me for my efforts. Who does that? What a darling!
He writes me love notes, does everything I ever ask him to do immediately, encourages me to talk about how I'm feeling when he knows I'm upset about something, bounds over to help me with dishes, never lets us forget couple prayer/scripture reading, gets just as much joy from watching Chiara's little accomplishments as I do, calls me on his lunch break just to chat, and does a bazillion other things I love and appreciate because he knows me and wants me to be happy.
Eldon is selfless and kind. He is constantly making sacrifices for me and for our future, and I'm sure I only know about a fraction of them because it's not in his nature to boast. He's never raised his voice at me in all our 26+ months of marriage. He's dedicated and diligent, and never draws attention to himself. I admire his humility and stand in awe of his capacity to learn. He can sing like Josh Groban, but his lullabies to Chiara are what bring tears to my eyes. Eldon is the product of thousands and thousands of little, daily acts of obedience. He's the most consistent person I've ever known, and he brings out what I love most about myself and my potential.
We're certainly not perfect and I'm not claiming to be. But he's perfect for me. Not by accident, or chance, but because he has made it a priority. And I'm a lucky, lucky girl.


Oh Shell. I loved reading this post. :) You really are such a lucky girl to have such an amazing and wonderful husband. I love having Eldon as part of our family. :) That picture of him sleeping while feeding Chiara is probably the cutest picture ever! Love you Shelli!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet post for Eldon. He is a great husband and you are so lucky to have him. I wish you were going to Utah. Maybe next time. Love ya!
ReplyDelete