Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Prop 8 Aftermath

I believe in agency. I believe that agency was important enough to God that He lost a third part of His children in order to grant that gift to the others. I believe gay individuals should have the freedom and the right to live and love as they choose. They can choose their lifestyle the same way heterosexuals choose theirs. If they want to live together, register as a couple, share health plans, etc. that's really fine with me. I don't see any reason to object. There are many good-hearted gay couples who contribute to society and make fantastic neighbors and friends. I cannot expect them to exercise their agency according to a belief system they don't have. If they don't think homosexuality is wrong, as I do, why would they choose any other lifestyle? They might not agree with my desire to have 8 children, or do temple ordinances for the dead, or miss a Sunday activity in order to honor the Sabbath. I'm not asking them to.

I believe in tolerance. I believe everyone should feel safe in believing what they believe, worshiping how they please, and feeling the way they choose to feel. However, to tolerate and to condone are two very different verbs. They are not synonyms. I do not, will not, cannot condone a gay lifestyle. I think it's sinful and perverted. My children will be taught that marriage is between a man and a woman, and that those unions are ordained of God. They will also be taught that everyone is a child of God and must be treated with kindness and respect. I hope they will be friendly toward their gay classmates. I hope they will mourn with those who mourn, and comfort those who stand in need of comfort, no matter what the cause. That is Christlike. That is what God expects of His children. That was the goal of the founding fathers - to forge a country of tolerance and brotherly love.

I'm appalled at the news reports I watch and read about the aftermath of Prop 8. I'm so sorry the gay community has taken my vote and the votes of millions of others as personal attacks on them and the use of their agency. I can understand why they feel that way, but it's simply not true. I wish I had the words to explain that. They're asking me to condone their beliefs, and I cannot do that. They're asking for the privilege of teaching my children principles of gay marriage in public schools, and I cannot allow that. They're asking for the Lord to give them marriages in His churches and temples, and I cannot add my voice to that petition. But, in all fairness, I have my own requests as well. I'm asking them to find a term for their relationships that is separate from mine. I'm asking them to keep their lifestyle away from my children. I'm asking them to stop painting me with a bigot's brush and understand that my tolerance is sincere. It's limited, I suppose, but it's real.

God defined marriage in the beginning, and even if you don't care about Him you must have the courtesy toward those who do to leave that sacred terminology alone. This debate isn't nearly as much about them as is it about Him. The gay community can storm the temples, desecrate the churches, threaten the members and go unpunished by the law. But they will not dissolve the loyalty of Christians to their God. Our hearts, our devotion and our agency belong to Him.

Are there gays who truly believe that God condones their lifestyle? They don't know Him well enough. If they truly knew His voice they would recognize that the whisperings of justification they cling to are not coming from Him. Theirs is the hardest most heartbreaking trial I can imagine ... But the Lord must have great faith in them. And so should I.

3 comments:

  1. Very well written Shell, and I couldn't agree more. On Friday night we found ourselves having to drive through the middle of the protest on Temple Square, and so many of the signs I saw just made me sick to my stomach. It's ironic isn't it? A large group of homosexual (and heterosexual) people believe that the LDS church is "preaching hate," but when I see protesters holding up signs with the prophets' picture with a derogatory label underneath it, or the letters LDS paired with a Nazi swastika with it, it makes me wonder why they are so blind to who the "haters" truly are. There is no way the church would support its members behaving in such a manner toward the gay population. I have never seen such a display of misdirected anger in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! I completely agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelli - I stumbled upon your blog through your mom's via Bonnie Mattson's. I loved this post--so very well said. Thank you.
    Love, Barbara Leal

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here, and I love to hear what you have to say!