Thursday, November 13, 2008

Eldon Painted My Toenails


I can, from a standing position, reach down and easily touch my toes. But somehow it's different from a sitting position, bringing my knees up so I can paint my toenails. I can't reach. My big belly gets in the way and it hurts and I hate it. So Eldon painted them.

"How hard can it be?" he asked me, as he eagerly took the bottle of crimson red polish. I watched him paint, smiling to myself, because he was so intent on his task. I only had to suggest that he not paint side to side, but only up and down. We were going to do two coats, but he did an excellent job and I didn't feel the need to commandeer his time any longer. I'll post a picture of my toes on here when I get home. :) I was so impressed with him. Some toes are darker than others, but overall I'd say his performance was most exemplary.

Now for the next story...

It was Macsen's birthday on Monday and Eldon and I brought him some (sugar-free) cookies. I was wearing my sweats and because they're too long for me I held them up with my hands so they wouldn't drag in the rain and mud. Eldon, who remembers everything I say, turned to me and jokingly said, "Honey, you're not holding my hand. It looks like we're not even dating."

(I've mentioned before how I love to watch the experimental daters of Provo. He asked me how I can tell they're not actually official couples yet and I told him it's because they're not touching or holding hands.)

"Fine!" I said, and I grabbed both pant legs in my right hand and held his with my left. But, that left me ... how can I put this delicately ... looking very much like I was holding my own crotch.

"This doesn't look good, Honey." I joked, looking down at myself.

Eldon turned to look at me and released my hand. "Yeah, you can't walk around like that."

"Are you ashamed of me??" I asked him, feigning offense and using both hands to hold up my pants again.

"I'm not embarrassed of YOU, just of a few of your habits." he said, in his nicest most sincere voice.

"Oh, Honey, I'm putting that on the blog."

9 comments:

  1. Excellent post on both counts--loved the visual of Eldon painting your toenails (I love him more every single day) and then the delightful story clearing up the quote I was wondering about. I was intrigued by what habits of yours could be embarrassing. Thanks for clearing that up. I can rest easy now knowing that I had not neglected to teach you something imperative--like not flossing your teeth in a restaurant or wearing your clothes inside out....

    Now, go fire up your sewing machine and hem those sweats STAT! :) I wouldn't want it to appear that you and Eldon are not even dating--that could be quite scandalous at this point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet husband. I remember feeling that way, too! You're getting closer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the post. Well done Eldon. Keep on banking those brownie points. You never know when you'll need them. :)

    You two make a great team and we love you to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daddy, I'm so proud of you for commenting on blogs! Soon we'll have to convince you to do one of your own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh that's cute! you two are so cute together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your stories - you tell them so well. Cute husband btw - glad he takes good care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cookies were delish by the way! Thanks! Sorry I wasn't there when you came.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelly, you are adorable. I am so excited for you, and I am so glad I can blog stalk you to keep up with how cute you are!!

    Love yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How embarrassing that I am commenting twice in a row on your blog....Too bad you can't post something new so I can move on. :) Hee hee hee

    I just wanted to tell you that I woke up this morning and realized that my arm that was sticking out from under the covers was ice cold. Even in my groggy, half conscious state, I thought to myself, "MY WEATHERVANE IS FREEZING!" So how about that????!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here, and I love to hear what you have to say!