Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Domestic Goddess

I am officially unemployed. Long story. Basically the company I worked for was a complete joke. I guess that wasn't such a long story. It could be, and it felt like one, but I'll spare you the details. So the company went under -- completely blind-sighting every employee -- and while some of the staff were found jobs at the company who bought us out I was not among that number. I was told by one of our upstanding executives to "just keep having that baby." I'm serious. So I gave my 24 hours notice (along with my fellow receptionist) and Friday was our last day. I was like a slave for them, and they completely disregarded me because I'm pregnant and I'd no longer be an asset. Oooh, that irked me. Irks me. Will irk me. So no more angry client phone calls, no more post-it notes with tasks for me to do that are totally NOT my job, no more cleaning up corporate messes, no more getting in trouble for thinking a client is right, no more lying that so-and-so is in a meeting and will call you right back (over and over and over ... yep, he's STILL in a meeting ... go figure), no more running reports that make no sense, no more begging fellow employees to do their jobs (like take phone calls, answer voicemails, and be punctual), and no more pretending to believe the prepared speeaches of my superiors about the value of our services. I'm done. I'm a housewife now. :)

So this is what I've spent the last two days doing:
  • going to the gym (for my not-so-rigorous bike/elliptical/treadmill routine)
  • cleaning the house (vacuuming, scrubbing, sweeping, mopping, disinfecting, straightening, polishing, etc)
  • baking bread
  • making dozens of my husband's favorite cookies
  • organizing drawers / closets
  • grocery shopping
  • errand running
  • cooking breakfast
  • packing lunches
  • cooking dinner
  • ironing
  • a little bit of homework
Basically all the usual things, but without 8 hours a day spent at a job I hate. It's nice. I even took a nap yesterday. My joy is full. And so is Eldon's ... He's all kinds of spoiled now. :)

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the best job in the whole wide world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry that your job went out from under you. Maybe it is for the best. Plus, this being at home will give you an introduction into what a stay at home mom does, but only with a child who will occupy 99.9% of that time. I hope that you will enjoy it! I am sure Eldon loves having you home more often too. See you soon. Are you guys going to be in Utah for Thanksgiving? Will we see you guys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelli, here is some unsolicited advice. Never go to work again, you will have a full time job at home for the rest of your life. Trying to do more is just not worth it. If at sometime down the road you want the experience of working outside your home, just don't ever put that money into the family budget. If you do you are then a prisoner to your job forever. Been there and never again! I tell every young woman this that I can find. I had a job like the one you had for 20 something years and it was very very hard. Enjoy being a homemaker there is nothing as fulfilling, more needed or so very noble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shen, I'm going to say two things: fantastic for you that you are going to the gym! and, being a homemaker- like Bonnie said- is the most rewarding job, most demanding (that little baby is going to throw you for a loop whether you are prepared or no), most time consuming, most disappointing and the very best thing you can ever do for your family!!! I tried to be a graduate student AND a mom AND a housewife for 1 whole year and it was the worst thing I could have done. You know whats right by you and yours. You'll be a great mom! Let me know when you baby shower is and I'm TOTALLY coming!- Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Ash, I go to the gym because I'm getting chubby. :) It's not preventative ... though I suppose I am helping the condition not get any worse than it already is!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here, and I love to hear what you have to say!