Monday, May 25, 2009

THREE months!

Oh, Chiara, you're three months old today!! I can't believe it. Eldon and I can hardly remember what life was like before she came shining into it. I suppose we do vaguely recall feeling more rested. :) Here are a few new things we know about our baby girl:



  • She has discovered the joy of chewing her fingers. She always has her fists in her mouth ... sometimes both at the same time.
  • She gets a kick out of hearing her own voice. Sometimes she gets in the chattiest moods and just gurgles and coos forever. She's even started to talk to herself when she's alone, which makes me laugh every time.
  • She will fall asleep quietly if we catch her right when she's getting tired, swaddle her and lay her in her crib. But if we miss the window of initial fatigue she starts crying and has a hard time winding down.
  • Her acid reflux is getting a little better, I think, but not enough to go off the medicine just yet.
  • She likes watching TV. Last week I noticed she was actually distracted by the movie I had on. I've only used television as a calming technique once, though, since then. I put on Sleeping Beauty when I didn't know what else to do and it worked like a charm. :)

  • She still loves bathtime, and kicks against the side of the sink when she gets especially excited. Soon she'll be too big for that and I'll have to use the tub!

  • She looks on the bright side of things. We know this because she smiles at us through mouth fulls of spit-up. :)
  • She LOVES Daddy. Sometimes she won't even stop looking at him to nurse! Of course it melts my heart all over the floor ... I love it.

  • She loves going outside. Walks are her favorite!
  • She is absurdly curious. Whenever we take her anywhere new she can't be still until she's looked at everything! In the words of our 5-year-old niece, "her eyes go like this!" (said while widening her eyes in imitation)
  • She loves her swing, despite Daddy's insistence that she never would. :)
    She cannot be contained by Kirkland diapers. We experience daily blow-outs.
  • She kicks her legs when she's ticked. I hope it's not early signs of future tantrums. I've given her several lectures about how tantrums will never persuade me to give her her way ... even if it's a righteous desire. :)
  • She has slept through the night for three consecutive nights! We think it might be her new norm. Yay for that!!
  • She's irresistible. Even when I need sleep sometimes I just hold her for a few extra minutes because I just can't tear myself away. She is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

We love you, Baby Girl!!

6 comments:

  1. Awwwwww....she's sleeping through the night?! What an angel. But that means "no more sucky sucky for her gassy gassy" at 3 a.m.???? That's a shame. :) What will we ever do without those famous fatique induced quotes?

    But I am so happy for and about our little angel girl. Dad cannot stop raving about her, which is nice because I didn't want to be the one doing all the raving...it just felt selfish somehow. :)

    Happy Birthday to our little darling!!!! Glad you found some time (and place) to blog about it. :) Love you so much!!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelli that is so sweet! I didn't know she had acid reflux...mine does too. Doesn't it just break your heart when they throw up and are in pain? So sad. I am glad you liked the chicken! That makes me happy....

    P.S. I like your background. That is my friend Casey's website. She does a good job on those backgrounds!

    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an angel!! I hated to see her go from happy and cheerful as can be, to arched and crying due to pain. The poor little thing. But, this too shall pass....

    Can't wait to see you all again in a couple of weeks. :) Thanks for posting the pictures. I needed new paper for my office wall.
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelli & Chiara: Happy 3 months! We just wanted to let you know that we are a testament to living through acid reflux. Breelynn is officially off her medication completely! It's a hard road to walk and it brings with it some deep reflection and difficult realizations, but your dad is so right. This too shall pass! There were MANY months when I doubted that, but here we are on the other side. Keep us posted and call if there's ever anything we can do for you, even if it's just to listen. We love seeing pictures since we're not there to see the sweat pea in person! Love you guys!
    --Jaclyn & Bree!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 3 months Chiara. Are you really getting older? Seems just like yesterday when we heard the news of her birth. Don't they get better as they grow up. I love all the new fun stages they go through. I loved the pictures. She is sooooo cute. I am glad she is sleeping through the night for you. That is awesome. There is nothing like a good nights rest, especailly when you are busy during the day with them. We are trying to get Owen on his schedule. We are slowly getting there. He has become quite the fussy little guy. I think he might have acid reflux issues. We will see at his 2 month appointment. I love the picture of Eldon and Chiara, what a sweet picture. Thanks for sharing. We love and miss you all
    Melissa and the boys

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelli and Eldon-

    Chiara is adorable! You two are very lucky and wonderful parents. Don't they just get cuter and more fun every day? Happy 3 month birthday to Chiara. Tommy just had his 4 month birthday on Sunday, and we are loving him more each day.

    Love you!
    -Meggan

    P.s. I have decided one thing I can't be cheap about is diapers. The generic brand really just doesn't cut it. The cost of new onesies offsets the savings in diapers!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here, and I love to hear what you have to say!