Sunday, June 21, 2009

Love of my life

Marrying Eldon is the best decision I have ever made. I was nervous, and Eldon wasn't sure if I'd make it to the altar, but we did it and it's been a good journey. :) Like, God "saw the light; that the light was good" kind of good. He has been so patient with me, and sometimes I don't realize HOW patient until I look back and realize how irrational I've been in the past. I take that as a sign that I'm getting better. :)

He is so quick to serve me. He gets home and immediately starts helping me do whatever I'm doing, whether it's cooking, cleaning, or taking care of the babe. He doesn't need to be asked to set the table, or wash the dishes, or sweep the floor, or get the laundry ... the list could go on and on. He just ... does it!

For some reason today we were talking about whether I'm a demanding wife or not. I don't remember how it came up, but I asked him,

"Do you feel like I order you around a lot, Honey?"
"No."
"Are you just saying that, or do you mean it? You won't hurt my feelings."
"Well, I guess a little bit. But it's good things."
"What do you mean?"
"It's always things like, 'sit down', 'take a break', 'go lie down for a minute' ... That kind of stuff."
"Oh. So that's okay then?"
"Yeah."

Today I was dead tired after church and he told me to go take a nap. I told him I couldn't because I wanted to make him lasagne and cookies for Father's day. I'd just been set apart as the Compassionate Service Leader (no comment) and he asked me,

"Shell, so you want to do some compassionate service for me?"
"Of course I do!"
"Then go take a nap. I'll make dinner."

That made me laugh, because it could SO easily be misconstrued into a negative comment. He teases me about taking his comments out of context, but with sentences like that you can see why I do it. It's just so EASY!

"Eldon, it's Father's Day! I'm not going to let you make your own dinner!"
"But Shell, it's a special day, so it should be different than other days, right? And you always make dinner, so this would be a way to make it different!"

He's just the cutest thing there ever was. He's the reason I can work the graveyard shift and still function. He does everything he can think of to make my life easier for me. I really, really love him for that.

Anyway, we compromised and since he got cookies at church I just made the lasagne ... and they were GOOD. Merciful, probably the best lasange I've ever made. I felt like such a woman. :)

But honestly, who has a husband like that? I hope lots of girls do. It's the greatest thing. We have so much fun together. We tease and banter and play and talk and plan and change and love and laugh and try and try harder and just have the best life together. Sometimes as we're going to bed we just lie there and make each other giggle forever before we fall asleep. Now that we have a baby we don't want to wake up it's even funnier because we have to try to be quiet while we laugh. I just can't believe this is really the life we get to live. We're so blessed.

I love you, Honey. Happy Father's Day!

4 comments:

  1. Eldon sounds a lot like my fiancé. I hope our marriage works out as well as yours has!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it only gets better, Shelli, if you continue to put each other first. It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really are blessed. Aren't our husband just great! I hope that you had a great day. Lasagna sounds really good and I am sure you are just the best cook ever. Tell that cute family of yours hello for me. Love ya, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Snyder men sure aren't afraid to jump in and get their hands dirty, are they? We are so blessed to have chosen such hardworking, righteous, noble, loving men. So many women can only dream of having what we have every single day. And how wonderful for you two to be able to celebrate your first mother's and father's days this year! Congrats! Chiara is just getting bigger and more beautiful every time you post... I so wish to meet her!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here, and I love to hear what you have to say!