Monday, June 29, 2009

The library, the Creamery, and an Apostle of the Lord

Bryce and Haley are about to go to Amsterdam because Bryce is ridiculously smart and presenting a paper at an international conference over there (also, may I add that he took the LSAT and is in like the top 99th percentile? He's pretty much amazing), so before they leave we've been trying to squeeze in as much time with them as their schedule can handle. Last Friday night we decided we'd meet at the Provo Library (because we're all exceedingly nerdy) and then get ice cream at the creamery with coupons Bryce had left over from bribing volunteers for some research thing. Anyway, let's start with the library ...

I think I've checked out every worthwhile DVD the Provo library has to offer since Chiara was born. I don't really consider myself a movie-lover, but when I couldn't leave the house for three months the level of my boredom reached levels of desperation and I'd watch DVDs in 30-minute increments while I nursed her. And when you're feeding a baby at least 8 times a day you can go through movies pretty fast.

Anyway, that being said, I discovered that there were a few trivial LDS movies I hadn't seen, so I put them on hold (I really did) and on Friday they were ready for me. Bryce and Eldon were thoroughly appalled by my film choice, and mocked me accordingly. There were three reasons:

I know ... I'm ridiculous. In my defense I haven't managed to attempt the Dear John one, but the others I have already watched. In fact, Eldon watched Charly with me and laughed on the couch next to me while I sobbed into the tissues he brought me. True story.

Back to my library story. So you probably can't read it, but the "Out of Step" movie catch phrase is "One dream. Two guys. Eternal possibilities." I'm serious. Bryce saw that, read it out loud with noisy disbelief, and proceeded to mock me immediately. I can't recall the exact progression of the conversation, but the word that finally pushed Eldon and Bryce both off the edge and left them doubled over laughing was Bryce's pig latin that was definitely NOT discreet. :) Here's the picture I took of the laughter:

With my little LDS movies tucked safely in my purse we went to the Creamery on 9th. We got in line for ice cream and were shortly joined, I kid you not, by Elders Bednar and Anderson and their wives. I struck up a conversation with Sister Bednar who was, of course, smitten with the cuteness of my child. Then Elder Bednar joined us, jiggled Chiara's little foot and joked that if he gave her ice cream he'd be her favorite. Bryce refrained from chiming in, "Um, that goes for me as well." We left them alone after that, but the poor things were swarmed shortly thereafter by an onslaught of well-meaning admirers. Please, Eldon, never become an LDS celebrity. :) But in all fairness, they were asking for it going to the Creamery on a Friday night. :)

We ran into one of Bryce's friends while we were deciding on an ice cream flavor (roasted almost fudge, in case you were wondering) and said in his charming Scottish accent, "Hey, did yah see who's over thar? Eldar Bednar. Ah think Ah'll go give 'im a good gaime!" (complete with hand motion and "psshh" sound effect). I'm STILL laughing to myself about that. :)
Anyway, it was a fun night and I'm already going through Bryce withdrawls. What will I ever do without him? He is one of my absolute favorite people/heroes/friends. I could just bawl. Luckily for me Kevin and Shauna are both going to be here in the fall, so I won't be sibling-less. Bryce will, though. Sorry, Bruce. :)


The five of us on Bryce's birthday on Saturday ... shortly before the pyrotechnics began. :)

5 comments:

  1. Awesome experiences! Bryce is amazing, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You HAD to include the pig Latin??? Really???? Honestly...

    But what a great post, Shell. I loved it SO much! And I know that Bryce has been such a blessing for your little family...I am sorry that he won't be around you anymore, either. It really has been a huge comfort for me to know that he and Haley have been such wonderful helpers during this transitional time with Chiara and all that. Kevin and Shauna will be wonderful, too, but I think we all know that Bryce Lowder is truly one of a kind (warts, delight with naughty words and all) and that you will dearly miss him and his heroism in your daily life. I love how you kids all love each other so much. That is my favorite thing in the world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll stick up for you on this one Shell, because I own "Charley" and I still cry everytime I watch it.

    I've seen "Out of Step." Oh boy are you in for a treat. It is so special. And so funny without meaning to be.

    Sounds like a fun adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I blame myself . . . I mean your mother, for you kids thinking that humor is worth an occasional insdiscretion. "Isn't FUN the BEST thing to have?" :)

    As for Bryce being sibling-less, I'd like to think of him as upgrading to parents.
    We may not be quite as fun (I say begrudgingly), but we definitely have deeper pockets than you college kids. :)

    Loved the post.
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, Daddy ... getting parents is WAY up there. And NOT just for the pockets. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you're here, and I love to hear what you have to say!