Once when I was in the MTC my poor companion called me a soldier. It wasn't meant in a good way. It said, you're heartless and you-have-no-real-feelings kind of way. It was also true. I needed to soften up. And loosen up. A lot. I was a by-the-book, rules are rules kind of girl, who often thought more about principles than people. Not always, but sometimes. I've come a long way since then, thankfully, but in one area I desperately need to get back to that:
DIETING.
You've all seen recent pictures of me. I know what you're thinking but are too nice (or too dumbfounded) to say. "Wow, Shelli has gained a lot of weight." Oh, don't deny it, you know it's true. It's rather tragic. I'm not saying this in a please-lie-to-me-and-tell-me-I-look-the-same-as-ever kind of way. It would be fairly impossible to hide 40 pounds on a five-foot frame, and ridiculous to expect it to go unnoticed. (I just had a little flashback of the story of the emperor and his new clothes ... someone has to call it like it is, right?) I'm trying to be realistic here without throwing my hands up and retreating to my room with a book and a brownie while I pretend my life is in control. Something needs to happen, and it needs to happen NOW.
I've read a lot of books/articles recently about women's health and I've learned so much about stress and hormones and whatnot. I'm sure the last year and a half places me solidly in the "you were too stressed to even live, let alone stay thin" category, but pointing fingers won't help me lose this weight. The fact is we gain weight when we make bad choices, no matter what motivated us to make those choices.
So, if you're not dying of discomfort here (why is she BLOGGING about this? ... that's so embarrassing) I'm going to tell you my plan. If you are just writhing in the pain of social awkwardness you're free to stop reading. But I know it's kind of like a train wreck ... you just have to peek. I understand.
Anyway:
I'm going to get my health back.
So, here are my rules:
- No white flour.
- No processed sugar.
- Drink only water (diet coke, my dear traitorous friend ... I will miss you desperately).
- Daily vitamins.
- Daily exercise - weights: MWF; cardio: TTHS
- Sunday is treat day.
- Keep a daily record.
I promise not to bombard you in the future about my health goals, or gush about how it's going. I've made a separate blog for that. But the book I'm reading right now says we should make our goals public as a motivator. I'm already pretty motivated, but as a safe-guard against private self-betrayal I'll let you in on my little plan. Won't it be great if I can honestly report day after day, week after week, that I'm making healthy choices? Yes!
This isn't just about dieting or losing weight, though. It's about making choices that are consistent with what I know to be good and right. I want to summon every ounce of self-control I have and channel it - not just into this goal but into all my personal goals. I want to become who I want to become. And only my choices can get me there.
So, here I go!
P.S. Sorry for the pump-fake post title. I should have warned you, maybe, that this would be a post of questionable appeal to the masses. If you made it all the way to the P.S. part just know that I must love you. :)
You can do it! Look at everything you've already done with your life- you served an honorable 18-month mission, you forged your way through a difficult bachelor's degree, and you've just survived an extremely stressful first year of mommyhood, just to name a few! What's 12 weeks in the face of the years of dedication you've already proved yourself capable of? I'm rootin' for you- you inspire me on a routine basis to become the person I want to become. You go girl!
ReplyDeleteI'm proud of you. And I think making it public is a good idea because it really does make you more accountable. I'm here if you need to vent or talk or blah and murr about anything.
ReplyDeleteLove you!
P.S. I'm sitting in front of the TV eating McDonalds as I write this. Maybe I need to read that book of yours...
Shelli you can do it. The best part is you are doing it now while you are young and energetic and have so much ahead to be looking forward to in your life. I like Lanette's TNT Today not Tomorrow. For some it has been Tomorrow Not Today for decades. Each day counts and more importantly each choice counts. It is a huge battle but you can do it. Me, I am still working on it. I'd give just about anything to just have it behind me. The longer you wait the harder it gets. So...You go, Girl....you'll do it!
ReplyDeleteBest of luck on this! I hope it works for you! I am the poster girl for traditional weightloss techniques that just DON"T work, but I don't believe in giving up... I'm already doing this diet that you listed, so consider it a trek together, girl! Love you!
ReplyDeleteLet me know how life is without all of those things in your diet. I am with you on the losing weight. But I have a good system set up so I hope that the scale will be telling me differently here pretty soon. I love reading your blog. Are you sure you can't write articles for your local paper? Everyone would love to read them! I love to read them! We miss you!
ReplyDelete